ADSM-L

Re: Collocation & Compression considerations for a 1TB Oracle Data Warehouse

2002-11-20 09:00:34
Subject: Re: Collocation & Compression considerations for a 1TB Oracle Data Warehouse
From: Zlatko Krastev/ACIT <acit AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 15:37:32 +0200
--> Q1 - We are considering whether to set TSM Client Compression=Yes ...

I've installed client with node compression for a customer with 600+ GB
Oracle DB backed up off-line. The node was p660-6M1 and result was 10-11
MB/s uncompressed >> 3-4 MB/s compressed per thread/per processor
(RS64-IV@750MHz). Thus you might be unable to stream compressed data for
best drive performance. Have in mind after node compression your 10 GB
files will shrink to approx. 4GB and diskpool might be sufficient (I would
recommend at least to double it). Consider few things:
- we already had a problem with nearly full diskpool: for most of the
sessions TSM allocates in the pool full file size and after transaction
end reservation is reduced. Last sessions see a lot of space allocated,
assume their file will not fit and go down the storage hierarchy.
- each thread uses only one processor for compression (or it looked to me
in this way). To achieve higher performance you need more sessions but
more diskpool space.

--> Q4 - If we set Collocation=Filespace, can we limit the number of tapes
used

you can use maxscratch to limit the number of tapes and dynamically
change/increase it. However this would not prevent multiple mounts caused
by collocation=filespace. The few-nodes approach might be better for
DLT/LTO. Have also in mind diskpool to tape migration relieves data
scatering in part.

--> Q5 - Does backup of 10GB files to a local tape device via Shared Memory
require special performance tuning?

I would say no and in our case TCP/IP and loopback interface were more
than enough.

--> What else should we do ...

You can do many things and solve the puzzle in many ways. We used diskpool
big enough to fit the whole backup after node compression. After the
backup data is migrated to DLT and worked fine. This might not be possible
in your case.

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant

Kent Monthei <Kent.J.Monthei AT GSK DOT COM>
19.11.2002 19:58