ADSM-L

Re: TSM 5116 server / storageagent performance degradation

2002-11-17 06:31:43
Subject: Re: TSM 5116 server / storageagent performance degradation
From: Allan J Mills <A.Mills AT PATRICK.COM DOT AU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2002 21:58:09 +1100
Check the library settings   if the barcode length is default change it to
extended.
check out all tapes first and check in again afterwards

this is a known IBM bug with the latest firmware.
got it from out CE after he had asked me to update and I had.
Giving me the )(*&(%&^%*^%$ as well

Unixgeekus

                      Rejean Larivee
                      <rlarivee AT CA DOT IBM.        To:       ADSM-L AT
VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                      COM>                     cc:
                      Sent by: "ADSM:          Subject:  Re: TSM 5116 server /
storageagent performance degradation
                      Dist Stor
                      Manager"
                      <[email protected]
                      .EDU>

                      16/11/02 03:37 AM
                      Please respond to
                      "ADSM: Dist Stor
                      Manager"

Hello,
there is a known AIX TCP/IP problem that was recently
discovered with AIX 5.1 64 bit. It is known as IY36925.
It may cause severe performance degradation during
TSM backups. At this time, you will have to call in for
support to get an e-fix as the ptf is not yet available.
Regards,
Rejean Larivee
IBM TSM/ADSM Level 2 Support

                      David E Ehresman
                      <deehre01@LOUISVI        To:
ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                      LLE.EDU>                 cc:
                      Sent by: "ADSM:          Subject:  Re: TSM 5116
server / storageagent performance degradation
                      Dist Stor
                      Manager"
                      <[email protected]
                      .EDU>

                      11/15/2002 11:21
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      "ADSM: Dist Stor
                      Manager"

Did you go to 64 bit mode when you went to 5.1.1.6?  We have some
clients that start out backing up at a good rate and then shift into a
mode where they are running very very slow.  We now think this might be
a 64 bit mode server problem.

David

>>> robert.burton AT RBC DOT COM 11/15/02 09:20AM >>>
We were running tsm 4.2.2.4 on an S7A AIX server.  We were putting
through
approx 1.7 TB nightly with approx 85%
going to disk storagepool and the remaining going direct to tape.  We
were
also testing Lan-free with Gresham EDT-Distributape and STK acsls/9840
tape
drives and we were consistently on an UDB api backup receiving 15 MB/s

one month ago we upgraded all server and storageagents to tsm 5.1.1.6
level
and since then we have seen performance drop.  We are having trouble
getting
through the 1.7 TB nightly.  The same lan-free tests are only getting
us
around 10 MB/s.

We will be upgrading to a bigger and more powerful aix server this
weekend
in hopes that the performance drop is related to our S7a server
reaching the
end of its life span but I know when we upgraded from tsm 3.7 to 4.2 we
saw
an increase in server performance, I'm worried that the upgrade from
5.1 has gone in reverse.

Has anybody sees anything remotely similar after an upgrade to tsm
5.1.1.6
???

thanks
Robert Burton
Enterprise Storage Network Analyst
Royal Bank of Canada
315 Front St West
Toronto, On, M5V 3A4
* 416-348-3849
* Robert.Burton AT rbc DOT com <mailto:Robert.Burton AT rbc DOT com>

Ce courriel est confidentiel et protigi. L'expiditeur ne renonce pas
aux droits et obligations qui s'y rapportent. Toute diffusion,
utilisation ou copie de ce message ou des renseignements qu'il contient
par une personne autre que le (les) destinataire(s) disigni(s) est
interdite. Si vous recevez ce courriel par erreur, veuillez m'en aviser
immidiatement, par retour de courriel ou par un autre moyen.