ADSM-L

Re: DIFFFULL Backups with TSM for SQL

2002-11-14 10:24:41
Subject: Re: DIFFFULL Backups with TSM for SQL
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 10:21:32 -0500
Jeff,

This is probably a good question to post the
the Microsoft SQL Server forums.

TDP for SQL simply takes a "blob" of data
that the SQL Server hands it and stores it
on the TSM Server. TDP for SQL does not
make the determination of what data should be
backed up and what shouldn't. SQL Server
decides all of this.

TDP for SQL tells SQL Server that it wants to
perform a "differential" backup, then waits
for the SQL Server to hand the data back.

The DIFFESTIMATE option allows you to estimate
this since SQL does not give you a way to
determine this without actually scanning
all database pages.  That estimate is only
used to initially reserve space on the
TSM Server... it is not used as the
actual amount of data to be backed up.

Thanks,

Del

Del Hoobler
IBM Corporation
hoobler AT us.ibm DOT com

- Never cut what can be untied.
- Commit yourself to constant improvement.