ADSM-L

Re: Seeking 3.7.5 -> 5.1 upgrade advice..

2002-11-12 12:43:18
Subject: Re: Seeking 3.7.5 -> 5.1 upgrade advice..
From: Sias Dealy <hnre AT UREACH DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 12:42:29 -0500
TSM'er

I agree with Wanda. Stick with plan A.

When migrating from TSM 3.7.X to 5.1.X, the data base should be
upgrade during the migration. When you try to start the dsmserv
process and you recieve an error message complaining about the
database, then issue the "dsmserv upgradedb" command.
You can be kind of pro-active, you can issue "dsmserv
upgradedb" and then start the dsmserv process. I have not
experience any problems issuing "dsmserv upgradedb" when the
data base is already upgraded. Unless I am one of the semi-
lucky one.

When I migrated from 3.7 to 4.2, one server the database got
upgrade but for some restange reason another server I had to
issue the "dsmserv upgradedb" commmand after there was a
message complaining about the database.

A good hint, before you start the upgrade.
Make sure that you have a current backup of the TSM server,
backup the volhist, and the devconfig. I would also backup the
dsmserv.opt file, if you would have to start from scratch you
would not have to try to remember what was set in the
dsmserv.opt file.

Speaking about Tivoli support, in the US. Have anyone call
Tivoli support since June 2002? There was an e-mail or a notice
that due to the call volume that they are experiencing that the
tech's are  calling the customer back. Basicly, you've got some
waiting time.

Sais

Get your own "800" number
Voicemail, fax, email, and a lot more
http://www.ureach.com/reg/tag

---- On    , Prather, Wanda (Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU) wrote:

> Restoring an old data base (3.7.5) to a new level of the
server (5.1) SHOULD
> work but it isn't guaranteed.
> That is, Tivoli doesn't test that process, and if it doesn't
work, they
> probably won't fix it.  And you will be going up SEVERAL
levels of code.  So