ADSM-L

Tape History....

2002-11-12 09:13:20
Subject: Tape History....
From: David Stabler <dstabler AT MORRISONHOMES DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 09:02:57 -0500
Is there a nice easy way to tell where a tape has been?

I'm experiencing about a 15-20% failure rate, over time, in tapes in my
3584 LTO (Ultrium, not DLT).  The tapes that are failing are from varied
vendors, but all are non-IBM tapes.  I'm afraid that one of the drives
is potentially causing physical harm (tapes sent off for analysis have
shown, in some cases, damage after 150ft) but I don't want to have IBM
just replace everthing without having an idea of what I'm after.

What could I do to gather that information?  I could run a nightly
script watching tape activity, of course, and keep that data, but I'm
wondering if Tivoli keeps that conveniently.

David Stabler, CATE/AIX, CNCE
Senior Systems Analyst