ADSM-L

Re: Space reclamation of offsite copy pool takes forever

2002-11-11 22:32:54
Subject: Re: Space reclamation of offsite copy pool takes forever
From: Sung Y Lee <sunglee AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 21:26:40 -0600
Hello,

Have you first tried to see what current reclaimable spaces are available
for offsite volumes.

Here's a select command which will list all the offsite volumes in the
order of pct_reclaimable.

Command: select volume_name, stgpool_name, access, pct_reclaim from volumes
where stgpool_name='OFF3494' order by pct_reclaim desc
Modify the stgpool name for your server

It is possible that you don't have any offsite volumes reach are
reclaimable at your reclaimable threshold and yes reclaimable process can
take a very long time.  Sometimes, I was lucky to get even 3 tapes back
running thru the night.   Also make sure expiration is running.

Sung Y. Lee
E-mail  sunglee AT us.ibm DOT com

                      "Brazner, Bob"
                      <Bob.Brazner@JCI.        To:       ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST
DOT EDU
                      COM>                     cc:
                      Sent by: "ADSM:          Subject:  Space reclamation of
offsite copy pool takes forever
                      Dist Stor
                      Manager"
                      <[email protected]
                      .EDU>

                      11/11/2002 05:44
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      "ADSM: Dist Stor
                      Manager"

Reclamation of our offsite copy pool is taking forever.  Right now, we have
200+ volumes in that pool.  Normally, threshold is set at 60% and I get
maybe 8 or 9 volumes returned after processing for 7 hours (on beefy AIX,
with TSM at 5.1.5).  Lately I've tried setting the threshold at 99, then
98, then 97, etc., but I don't see much improvement in overall freeing up
of tapes.  It appears that most of the time is taken up with mounting input
volumes.  Even though we have a 3494, I'd say 80% of the time is spent
waiting for tape mounts.  Is there any way to get space reclamation to free
up offsite tapes faster?  Note, for my onsite tape pool, I do not see this
problem (e.g., I can easily free up 30 tapes in 5 hours or less).

Bob Brazner
Johnson Controls, Inc.
(414) 524-2570