ADSM-L

Re: Backup Question

2002-11-08 12:37:13
Subject: Re: Backup Question
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 12:34:02 -0500
> Zoltan,
> Thanks for your reply, but here's what I thought:
> After it builds a list of files to backup, it then traverses/sweeps the
> tree(File System) to do the actual backup. At this time if it finds a
> new file in its path, it will back it up. If the file is placed in that
> path after TSM has gone past that File System Structure it will not go
> back to back it up since it has no knowledge of that file.
> The reason for my explaination is that we have seen many files whose
> modified time is much later than the Backup Start time and it is still
> backed up.
> Let me know your thoughts.

TSM clients from 3.7 onward have been designed to overlap the later
part of the file scan with transfer of new and changed files found in
the earlier part of the scan. On a lot of our clients the time stamps
in the log indicate that the scan stretches out over most of the duration
of the backup. With that kind of timing behavior the scan might pick up
files created toward the end of the backup, depending on the location
of the files.