ADSM-L

Re: Problem tape

2002-11-05 10:33:02
Subject: Re: Problem tape
From: Robin Sharpe <Robin_Sharpe AT BERLEX DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 10:31:54 -0500
We've had problems with mysterious tapes on similar hardware, but HP-UX
server.  Library is HP 20/700 which is a rebadged L700.  Symptoms were TSM
being almost hung... could not start new admin sessions, had to kill it &
restart.  we would see two dsmserv processes, which we think is normal, but
usually the second one comes and goes so fast that you rarely see it....
when we were finally able to look at the activity log, we found I/O errors
for drives that had sense codes of all FFFF, and *unkown* errors... tracing
back to mount commands we always foun the same tape mounted in the drive
that had the I/O errors.... removed the tape, and everything was fine.
But, we still don't know what was wron with the tapes... don't know if it
is a library isuue or a HP-UX issue.

Robin Sharpe
Berlex Labs

                    Karel Bos
                    <Karel.Bos@NU
                    ON.COM>       To:    ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                    Sent by:      cc:
                    "ADSM: Dist   Subject:
                    Stor Manager"        Re: Problem tape
                    <ADSM-L AT VM DOT MA
                    RIST.EDU>

                    11/05/02
                    04:28 AM
                    Please
                    respond to
                    "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"

We had this on this TSM server version. Please upgrade.