ADSM-L

Re: Multiple sessions per tape

2002-10-31 10:21:15
Subject: Re: Multiple sessions per tape
From: "Mr. Lindsay Morris" <lmorris AT SERVERGRAPH DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 09:14:24 -0500
1. hundreds of clients can simultaneously back up to a disk pool.  Only four
clients can back up simultaneously to a library with four tape drives.

2. Tape drives perform horribly if they stop and start frequently.  If you
can stream the data to them fast enough to keep them busy ,they perform very
well.  One client going over a network cannot keep up with a tape drive, so
ithe drive stops and starts and perfomrs badly.  But weh nthe TSM server
migrates the disk pool to tape, it WILL feed the tape drive fast enough to
get good performance out of it.

3. If you cache your disk pool, next-day restores can come directly from
disk - much faster than tape.

Hope this helps.
Mr. Lindsay Morris
Lead Architect, Servergraph