ADSM-L

Re: Automating RMAN Backup Through TSM

2002-10-31 10:21:13
Subject: Re: Automating RMAN Backup Through TSM
From: Bill Boyer <bill.boyer AT VERIZON DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 08:57:25 -0500
I've been having some discussions/arguments with co-workers (and myself at
times!) over this. The schedules for the TDP agents are ACTION=COMMAND with
an OBJECT of the command script that runs to start the TDP agent. What get's
run in the script has nothing to do with the nodename that you used to start
the scheduled command. You could actually just run a script file that has
NOTHING to do at all with TSM on a client. Just to use it as a scheduling
service. The script turns around and runs the TDP agent that points to its
own DSM.OPT file, different from the B/A client's DSM.OPT file.

Now for backups, the scheduler service is going to run using the DSM.OPT
file specified when you started the scheduler.

This allowed me to not have to "clone" scheduler services all over my nodes
just to run a command script to start a TDP backup. I just set up a DB2
backup this way. I use the nodename for the B/A client on that server (AIX)
to schedule a shell script that in turns runs the BACKUP DB...USE TSM
command for all the databases. There are currently 4 different instances,
each instance has it's own nodename. The shell script ends up doing backups
to TSM using 4 different nodenames, that are totally different than the
nodename that was used to start the shell script. None of it's related.

The only real caveat that I can see is you need to make sure the schedules
don't overlap. You can't start 2 schedules to the same node at the same
time. You can run into the position of a "miss" is the other schedule runs
longer than the DURation of the other schedule. So far (knock on wood!) I
haven't gotten bit by that one. I'm actually thinking of doing this same
type of configuration for all my TDP nodes. Would save configuration and
resources on the client not having multiple scheduler services running.

Just my $.02 worth...and most times it's overpriced!

Bill Boyer
DSS, Inc.
"There are 10 kinds of people in the world those who understand binary and
those who don't." - ??