ADSM-L

Re: Automating RMAN Backup Through TSM

2002-10-31 00:08:02
Subject: Re: Automating RMAN Backup Through TSM
From: "Christy Wu, T.F." <tfwu AT TECHNOWORKS DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 11:48:58 +0800
Hi Brian,

I have similar setup to your but unfortunately not able to get the rman
backup to tape. I tried to isolate the problem without TSM by simply using
rman to backup to an internal 4mm tape drive but get an error that unable to
initialize the subsystem (SBT) layer. Is there any configuration need to be
specified in using the tape device?

Bypass the TSM and use the native rman command to backup to an internal 4mm
tape drive, I used following:
rman target / nocatalog
> run {
> allocate channel t1 type 'sbt_tape';
> backup tablespace tools;
> }

I expect the command to backup to tape, but it failed with the error I
stated above. Any configuration I need to do with 'sbt_tape' under Oracle?
Hope you can give me some hints here. Thanks.

Chris