ADSM-L

Excluding files in Windows NT

2002-10-30 21:07:06
Subject: Excluding files in Windows NT
From: Anwer Adil <aadil AT LAW.COLUMBIA DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 16:26:15 -0500
Can I safely  exclude following files from backup:

c$\WINNT\Profiles\Administrator\NTUSER.DAT
c$\WINNT\Profiles\Administrator\ntuser.dat.LOG
c$\WINNT\system32\config\default.LOG
c$\WINNT\system32\config\SAM
c$\WINNT\system32\config\SAM.LOG
c$\WINNT\system32\config\SECURITY
c$\WINNT\system32\config\SECURITY.LOG
c$\WINNT\system32\config\software
c$\WINNT\system32\config\software.LOG
c$\WINNT\system32\config\system
c$\WINNT\system32\config\SYSTEM.ALT

I am getting errors in the log file that these files cannot be backed up
since they are open.

Tivoli Storage Manager for Windows Backup-Archive Clients Installation and
User's Guide recommends the following exclude statement:

exclude "*:\...\system32\config\*.*"
exclude "*:\...\system32\config\...\*"

Can I restore the registry and other system objects it I exclude all the
files listed above? They are not getting backed up anyway.

Anwer