ADSM-L

Re: restore hangs

2002-10-29 15:49:11
Subject: Re: restore hangs
From: Justin Bleistein <justin.bleistein AT SUNGARD DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 15:06:18 -0500
Send me that info I requested in the earlier email and I'll take a look.
Thanks!.

--Justin

                      Alexander
                      Lazarevich               To:       ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST
DOT EDU
                      <alazarev AT HERA DOT IT        cc:
                      G.UIUC.EDU>              Subject:  restore hangs
                      Sent by: "ADSM:
                      Dist Stor
                      Manager"
                      <[email protected]
                      .EDU>

                      10/29/2002 01:56
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      "ADSM: Dist Stor
                      Manager"

I'm probably annoying the hell out of you all, but I'm really stuck, and I
need someones help.

Running ADSM serv 3.1 on AIX 4.3.3 with 3575 tape library.

I'm trying to restore a filesystem. I first tried running dsm on the
client, the process starts, and it starts restoring the directory
structure (or whatever its doing), but after a minute or two it just
hangs. The restore is not active anymore, and it changes its state to
"restorable", and the Sess State changes from Run to RecvW:

adsm> q se

  Sess Comm.  Sess     Wait   Bytes   Bytes Sess  Platform Client Name
Number Method State    Time    Sent   Recvd Type
------ ------ ------ ------ ------- ------- ----- --------
--------------------
     2 Tcp/Ip Run      0 S  697.2 K     102 Admin AIX      ALAZAREV
 1,572 Tcp/Ip Run      0 S    4.7 K     421 Admin AIX      ALAZAREV
 1,573 Tcp/Ip RecvW    2 S    2.2 M     615 Node  AIX
HERA.ITG.UIUC.EDU

adsm> q rest

  Sess    Restore        Elapsed    Node Name                    Filespace
Number    State          Minutes                                 Name
------    -----------    -------    -------------------------
-----------
    -1    Restartable          2    HERA.ITG.UIUC.EDU
/home/mac/-
                                                                  tate

Now, from previous posts help, I also tried using the incremental restore.
On the client command line I ran the following command:

#dsmc restore "home/mac/tate/*" -replace=no -subdir=yes

This has the exact same result as the other restore. It goes for a minute
or two and then it hangs, and becomes a restartable session with a state
of RecvW.

BTW, the dsmadmc -console windows shows absolutetly NO errors. It puts two
tapes into the drives, takes them out, then just sits there. NO errors!

Does anyone have any ideas? If I should give more info please let me know.
I'm totally stuck, and everyone is getting pissed at me.

Thanks in advance,

Alex
   Alex Lazarevich | Systems | Imaging Technology Group
   alazarev AT itg.uiuc DOT edu | (217)244-1565 | www.itg.uiuc.edu