ADSM-L

Re: Reclaiming Filling Tapes (was 3590 compression vs tsm compres sion)

2002-10-29 15:43:45
Subject: Re: Reclaiming Filling Tapes (was 3590 compression vs tsm compres sion)
From: "Rushforth, Tim" <TRushfor AT CITY.WINNIPEG.MB DOT CA>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 14:23:41 -0600
I believe a tape that is in Filling status that is marked Offsite is also
eligible for reclamation.  We send all copy pool tapes offsite every day
(and the last one for each pool is still in a filling status.)  These
filling tapes do get reclaimed.

An issue we've just noticed is that the reclamation value for these filling
tapes is skewed resulting in some inefficient offsite reclamations.

We use client compression and were using the default estimated capacities
for LTO Tapes (190GB).

Our full Tapes on average get about 112GB of data (after software
compression).  So when a tape is filling, say 100 GB of data, TSM shows as
52% utilized.  (Although in reality it is really probably 89% utilized.)  So
if we set our offsite reclaim to say, 48% it would reclaim the filling tape.
Not very efficient since the tape is really only 11% reclaimable!

So we've just updated all of our estimated capacities to be the average
amount that we get for the full tapes in that pool.  This should make for
more efficient offsite reclamations.

Again this only applies if you are using software compression.  Another
bonus, now the pct utilized of our pools is a fairly accurate number!