ADSM-L

Re: SCSI-2 tape drives

2002-10-27 12:57:49
Subject: Re: SCSI-2 tape drives
From: Justin Derrick <jderrick AT CANADA DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 12:56:13 -0500
I'd imagine that if the card truly fits the specifications (and I'd
expect Adaptec to adhere to the specs) that any SCSI tape drive would
work that is supported by TSM would work well.  The least obtrusive
drives that I've used with TSM are the Sony SDT-9000 (internal 4mm
DDS-3 12GB/24GB).  The other good news is that 4mm drives and media
are quite inexpensive since development of the 4mm standard appears
to have stopped.

Here's a link to Sony's website for one of their external, portable
drives...  It irritates me that they don't specify that this drive is
SCSI...  I'd verify that they haven't done something silly like put a
parallel interface on the back.
http://www.storagebysony.com/products/productmain.asp?id=118

-JD.

I'm trying to set up a portable demo unit for TSM, using a laptop that has
an Adaptec APA-1460A PCMCIA card; the card supports SCSI-2. Does anyone out
there have any experience with any compatible (and current) tape drive
that'll run of this card?

Justin Derrick
Independent IBM Content Manager OnDemand Consultant

Specializing in Reporting, Optimization, Billing Applications,
plus Installations, Upgrades and Hardware Migrations

eMail:  jd AT justinderrick DOT com   Web:  http://www.justinderrick.com/