ADSM-L

Re: drm operator scripts

2002-10-26 09:09:31
Subject: Re: drm operator scripts
From: Mark Stapleton <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 23:48:25 -0500
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU]On Behalf Of
Matt Simpson
> >Tape volumes in the storage pool will now go to PENDING status
> >when they are
> >moved to ONSITERETRIEVE status. You won't be able to check them in as
> >scratch tapes until the reusedelay period of time expires.
>
> That's not exactly the problem I'm trying to solve. I want to check
> them in as scratch tapes. I just don't want them to disappear out of
> the database before that happens.
>
> Example. We generate a list of all tapes in VAULTRETRIEVE status, and
> give that to a human and tell him to bring all those tapes back from
> the vault.  We move all the tapes on the list to ONSITERETRIEVE
> status.  Human brings tapes back from the vault. We load them into
> the bulk entry door and issue the CHECKIN command to check them in as
> scratch.  All is OK if human retrieves all the right tapes.  But if
> one doesn't get retrieved for some reason, there is no longer any
> record that the tape exists and isn't where it belongs.  I'd like to
> have it left in the database in some status, VAULTRETRIEVE or
> COURIERRETRIEVE or anything that would indicate that it exists and
> needs to be returned to the library.

That's exactly what will happen. If you set the reusedelay for 1 day, it
will mean that it will be 24 hours before those tapes can be checked in a
scratch tapes--loads of time to make sure that the right tapes are
retrieved.

As an alternative, you could run a report of all tapes going through
reclamation and drm retrieval, redirect said report to a file, and hang onto
such files for a reasonable period of time. This way you have a paper trail.

In the best of circumstances, Matt, a manual audit of all vaulted tapes
should be done on a regular basis (once a year, once a quarter, whatever) no
matter what kind of system you maintain.

Certified TSM consultant
Certified AIX system engineer
MCSE