ADSM-L

Re: Linux as TSM Server; ATA DiskArrays; SSA-diskpool copypool speeds (3 totally unrelated questions for the price of one!)

2002-10-25 15:43:40
Subject: Re: Linux as TSM Server; ATA DiskArrays; SSA-diskpool copypool speeds (3 totally unrelated questions for the price of one!)
From: Suad Musovich <s.musovich AT AUCKLAND.AC DOT NZ>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2002 08:37:20 +1300
We are about to set up a 2nd server running Linux.

My main issue, so far, is I/O related.
I haven't been able to find anyone running sustained high I/O on a IA32
box (except for a NUMA-Q).
The new vendor offerings look promising but they have only been able to
supply database TPC style stats, which is fine for metadata but does not
address whether you can load up the PCI bus(es) with Gigabit network and
FC.

Anyone deployed beefy IA32 TSM servers? (and can compare to the newer
RISC servers)

Also, the current 2.4 Linux kernel has some issues with I/O subsystem
using a single spinlock. This is being addressed in the 2.5/3.0 kernel
but means, in the short/medium term, Linux could be an issue.

We are playing safe, initially, and using the TSM Linux server for lots
of small nodes and virtual volumes to our main TSM server.

Suad