ADSM-L

Re: Share permissions lost while restoring data

2002-10-25 14:39:30
Subject: Re: Share permissions lost while restoring data
From: Joshua Bassi <jbassi AT IHWY DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 11:37:29 -0700
The reason your share permissions are gone is because Microsoft does not
store share info within the directory structure.  Share info is kept in
the registry.  The only way to get the share settings back is to restore
the entire registry.  This is fine if you are restoring to the original
server, but if you are doing a cross-client restore I would recommend
against it because you will overwrite the registry on a completely
different system.

--
Joshua S. Bassi
IBM Certified - AIX 4/5L, SAN, Shark