ADSM-L

Re: TDP for SAP R/3 versus BMC SQL Backtrack

2002-10-25 14:07:57
Subject: Re: TDP for SAP R/3 versus BMC SQL Backtrack
From: "Davidson, Becky" <Becky.Davidson AT SLBG DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 13:06:43 -0500
We used to run SQL Backtrack and we now run TDP for SAP R/3.  In my opinion
here are the differences

SQL Backtrack
Benefits
 - great compression ratio
 - seems to handle well large databases

Disadvantages
 - licenses are based on size of database if you grow alot (which we do) you
spend alot of time and money upgrading your license
 - support seems to frequently blame the problem on tsm

TDP for SAP R/3
Benefits
 - licenses are based on server not database
 - support is Tivoli so it can bounce between TDP and TSM support with
little effort on your part
 - a little bit more flexibility between threads and multiplexing as to who
data is passed.

Disadvantages
 - compression is only blank space
 - doesn't seem to handle as well databases over 500 or so GB....this is
improving slowly

This was our experience and I will happily answer any other questions
offline
Becky