ADSM-L

Directories written in the wrong pool, although using dirmc option

2002-10-25 06:25:18
Subject: Directories written in the wrong pool, although using dirmc option
From: PAC Brion Arnaud <Arnaud.Brion AT PANALPINA DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 12:23:22 +0200
Hi *SM'ers,

I'm facing a strange problem, and would like to know if somebody could give me
an explanation ...
The picture :
We had a policy domain, named "NT" defined for Windows systems,  that got only
one mgmt class, called NT-SYSTEMS, copy group looking like that :
NT ACTIVE NT-SYSTEM STANDARD 15 15 30 60, pointing to a disk pool called
diskpool_win.
I then was required to initiate new backups, for Microsoft SQL DB's. I thought
it would not be necessary to create a new policy domain to do those backups,
and just added new management classes and copy pools, looking like :
NT ACTIVE MGMT-SQL-FULL  STANDARD 6 0 No Limit No Limit, pointing directly to a
tape pool called tapelto_sql_full, used for SQL full backups
NT ACTIVE MGMT-SQL-LOG  STANDARD 1 0 No Limit No Limit , pointing to a disk
pool named diskpool_sql_logs, size 4 GB, used for SQL log backups
NT ACTIVE MGMT-SQL-META  STANDARD 6 0 No Limit No Limit, pointing to a disk
pool named diskpool_sql_meta, size 1MB, used for SQL meta data
I activated, and validated the whole stuff, and next night, got all my NT nodes
having backup status "failed". After some headscratching, I found my problem
was due to the fact that all directory data was sent to diskpool_sql_meta,
which was too small, and had no migration pool. So far I agreed : directory
data had took the management class having the longest retention period.
I then built a new disk storage pool, named diskpool_dir, size 4 GB, attached
to a new Mgmt class looking like :
NT ACTIVE MGMT-DIR STANDARD 15 15 No Limit No limit

And also defined a new client option set for NT nodes, specifying "DIRMC
MGMT-DIR". Once again activated the whole thing, and had 3 peaceful nights ...
until today.
The event logger showed me some NT nodes had status "failed" for their backup,
reason : "no space available". I then found that diskpool_meta was once again
full, because those nodes had written directories path into it ! But that time
I really can't understand what happened.
Does anybody have a clue what  happens here ?
Zillion thanks in advance !
Arnaud

| Arnaud Brion, Panalpina Management Ltd., IT Group     |
| Viaduktstrasse 42, P.O. Box, 4002 Basel - Switzerland |
| Phone: +41 61 226 19 78 / Fax: +41 61 226 17 01       |