ADSM-L

Re: System Object / Mgmt. Classes / Policy Sets / Backup Groups - - Wh at's the best way??

2002-10-23 12:53:26
Subject: Re: System Object / Mgmt. Classes / Policy Sets / Backup Groups - - Wh at's the best way??
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 12:48:32 -0400
Hi Kevin,

Most people have only 2 policy sets for each policy domain - the acitve and
the inactive one.
I suggest you make a new management class:

*       In the NOCODOM policy domain, create a new management class, for
example call it SYSOBJ_MAN
*       Edit the BACKUP COPY GROUP for that new management class to set your
retention to 7 instead of 60.
*       ACTIVATE the policy set for that domain; that makes the changed
version active.
*       Pick a Win2K client in the NOCODOM domain to test.
*       In the dsm.opt file of that client, put an include statement to
cause TSM to bind the systemobject to the new management class:
              include.systemobject SYSOBJ_MAN

*       Start the backup client and backup the system object
*       Now pretend you are going to restore the system object:
                start the client
                click RESTORE
                expand SYSTEM OBJECT
                click on one of the components (like registry)
                scroll to the right, you should see the time and management
class of the last backup
                if it says SYSOBJ_MAN instead of DEFAULT, it's working
*       Now you have to figure out how you are going to make this happen on
ALL the clients in the NOCODOM domain.
*       You can either use sneakernet and add this to the dsm.opt file of
all the affected clients, or
        create a clientoptionset on the server with this include statement
(certainly easier to do!)