ADSM-L

Re: TDP for Domino Retention

2002-10-23 10:31:34
Subject: Re: TDP for Domino Retention
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 10:30:35 -0400
> Would someone please explain to me what these settings will mean to me as
it
> relates to TDP for domino backups? The schedule is below. Is there going
> be 45 versions of each type of backup or what? I'm told they want to be
able
> to go back 45 days. I'm not sure how this should be set up though. And
I'm
> having a hell of a time satisfying anyone on this.

Geoff,

Think of this like the normal "file" level client.
If the "customer requirement" is that you need
to be able to go back at most 45 days, then you
should set your policies based on number of days
to keep versions and not number of versions.
For example, in your scenario:

   Versions Data Exists       No limit
   Versions Data Deleted      No limit
   Retain Extra Versions      52
   Retain Only Version        52

Why "52"? Since you run a full backup once per
week... you want to set the "days to keep versions"
based on:

      "number of days to be able to restore"     (45)
  +   "number of days between full backups"      (7)

That way, no matter how many times you run a backup
(sometimes you need to do adhoc backups for one reason
or another) it will keep as many versions of the
backups it needs to be able to restore to any point
within the last 45 days and delete anything
older than that.

If we had set it to 45 (instead of 52) then on
day 46, the full backup would expire and the
next available one would be 39 days old and thus
not meet your requirement of 45 days.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Del

Del Hoobler
IBM Corporation
hoobler AT us.ibm DOT com

- Never cut what can be untied.
- Commit yourself to constant improvement.