ADSM-L

Re: Offsite Vaulting with Locked Canisters

2002-10-22 17:35:28
Subject: Re: Offsite Vaulting with Locked Canisters
From: Alex Paschal <AlexPaschal AT FREIGHTLINER DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 14:33:45 -0700
Hey, Josh.

You could write a Perl script (or pick a language) that manages these
canisters.  It can track which volumes are in each canister, check all their
%util and %recl and generate a canister %util/%recl.  Then you can have your
script issue delete vols or move datas when a canister is sufficiently
empty.  Of course, if you do this, you won't be able to use the stgpool's
pct_reclaim to do reclamation, but that's OK because your script mimics the
reclamation.  It would be like an offsitepool with superlarge tapes, so
_hopefully_ you'll get volume usage similar to what you're seeing now.  It
should also be pretty simple to write.

Personally, I don't like either the brand new copypool or the
import/export/backupset options.  They seem like they'll add too much drive
utilization.

Alex Paschal
Storage Administrator
Freightliner, LLC