ADSM-L

Re: Audit Library question.

2002-10-22 16:08:26
Subject: Re: Audit Library question.
From: KEN HORACEK <KHORACEK AT INCSYSTEM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 12:40:58 -0700
Todd,
Apparently, not all LTO(s) are created equally.  We have a 3584.

Ken
khoracek AT incsystem DOT com

>>> Todd_Lundstedt AT VIA-CHRISTI DOT ORG 10/22/2002 11:28:28 AM >>>
Not true on my library, Ken...
I have run several audits using checklabel=barcode before with success.
The arm has never moved in the library with an audit using checkl=b.

|--------+------------------------>
|        |          KEN HORACEK   |
|        |          <KHORACEK@INCS|
|        |          YSTEM.COM>    |
|        |          Sent by:      |
|        |          "ADSM: Dist   |
|        |          Stor Manager" |
|        |          <ADSM-L AT VM DOT MAR|
|        |          IST.EDU>      |
|        |                        |
|        |                        |
|        |          10/22/2002    |
|        |          01:03 PM      |
|        |          Please respond|
|        |          to "ADSM: Dist|
|        |          Stor Manager" |
|        |                        |
|--------+------------------------>

>-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |

  |      To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                                                 |
  |      cc:
                                          |
  |      Fax to:
                                          |
  |      Subject:     Re: Audit Library question.
                                          |

>-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Not true.......
With checklabel=barcode, all of the barcodes are read.  This is then
checked with the internal memory of the library as to what the library's
inventory says is where.  The tape is mounted, only if the barcode is
mis-read.

At 11:29 AM -0400 10/22/02, David Longo said:
>With checklabel=barcode, what happens is that TSM reads the internal
>memory of the library as to what the library's inventory says is
>where.

So checklabel=barcode doesn't really mean read the barcodes?  It just
means check the library's internal memory?  I guess that's still
useful in some circumstances, if there'e a possibility that TSM and
the library have gotten out of sync.
But it would be nice if things mean what they say.  Suppose I really
want it to read the barcodes?  Suppose I think the library's internal
memory has gotten confused somehow, and I  want to do a physical
audit of barcode locations to compare with the internal memory?  Is
this possible? Or is it a function of the library (which I guess
might  make more sense).

>So generally that won't take long.  And a drive needs to be available
>for
>the case where library had a problem reading a barcode label, that
>tape
>can be mounted in a tape drive to verify - even if using checkl=b.

But how can it have a problem reading the barcode label if check-=b
doesn't even try to read the labels?

--

Matt Simpson --  OS/390 Support
219 McVey Hall  -- (859) 257-2900 x300