ADSM-L

Re: Encryption

2002-10-22 11:41:02
Subject: Re: Encryption
From: Jim Smith <smithjp AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 09:37:53 -0600
Dwight,

You are correct that compressed data would not encrypt well, since TSM
uses a compression algorithm that works well with redundant data (and
compression kills redundancy) - but, the TSM b/a client does in fact
compress first and then encrypt the data to avoid this.   So go ahead and
use both encryption and compression if you would like.

I don't have any performance data from development on the b/a client using
encryption.  What we did test in development was the b/a client vs. plain
DES 56-bit encryption algorithms to make sure the client was not adding
unnecessary overhead.  DES is allot of number crunching, and it is by
nature very CPU intensive and will slow the b/a client down noticeably.

Thanks,
Jim Smith
TSM Client Development

Been a while and I'd have to double check but...
You might not want to use compression if you use encryption...
I believe it encrypts first then tries to compress and encrypted data
doesn't compress (much).
Something to double check.

Dwight