ADSM-L

Re: Testing the day of week in a script ....

2002-10-21 19:57:59
Subject: Re: Testing the day of week in a script ....
From: Steve Harris <Steve_Harris AT HEALTH.QLD.GOV DOT AU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 09:56:35 +1000
Arnaud,

TSM comes with a rich set of SQL functions.  Get a hold of Andy Raibeck's
"Using the SQL Interface" manual, it is very useful (search the archives to
find where it is)

Date functions include

Day  - Day of month
dayname
dayofweek - 1..7 Sunday..Saturday
dayofyear
daysinmonth
daysinyear
Monthname

I've just been reviewing the manual and there are some neat ones that I'm going
to try

coalesce(value,value,value...)   returns the first non-null in the list of
values
nullif(expression1,expression2) returns null if the expressions are equal or
expression1 otherwise

Andy, your manual is great, but its a bit out of date.  Any chance of an up to
date version or even better making it a part of the shipped manual set?

Steve Harris
AIX and TSM Admin
Queensland Health, Brisbane Australia

>>> Arnaud.Brion AT PANALPINA DOT COM 21/10/2002 19:39:12 >>>
Hi *SM'ers,

I'm looking for an SQL command to check the current day of week, before
starting the conditional excution of a subsequent script. I already found
something that seems to work, looking like :

Script blah ...
select date_time, message from actlog where cast((current_timestamp-date_time)
minutes as decimal(8,0)) < 1 and dayname(date_time) = 'Tuesday'
if(rc_ok) goto tuesday
If (rc_notfound) goto restofweek
tuesday :
run script1
exit
restofweek :
run script2
exit

Unfortunately this kind of select statement take ages to complete, because it
has to go through all the activity log to find the last lines written, as we
keep one month of it !
Does anybody have a faster way doing this kind of query/test  ? (without
calling an AIX script)
Thanks in advance ....
Cheers.

Arnaud

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
| Arnaud Brion, Panalpina Management Ltd., IT Group     |
| Viaduktstrasse 42, P.O. Box, 4002 Basel - Switzerland |
| Phone: +41 61 226 19 78 / Fax: +41 61 226 17 01       |
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

This e-mail, including any attachments sent with it, is confidential
and for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). This confidentiality
is not waived or lost if you receive it and you are not the intended
recipient(s), or if it is transmitted/ received in error.

Any unauthorised use, alteration, disclosure, distribution or review
of this e-mail is prohibited.  It may be subject to a statutory duty of
confidentiality if it relates to health service matters.

If you are not the intended recipient(s), or if you have received this
e-mail in error, you are asked to immediately notify the sender by
telephone or by return e-mail.  You should also delete this e-mail
message and destroy any hard copies produced.