ADSM-L

Encryption

2002-10-21 17:16:14
Subject: Encryption
From: J D Gable <josh.gable AT EDS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 16:13:03 -0500
Does anybody have any evidence/research as to what kind of additional
overhead encryption puts on a client when processing a backup (CPU,
Memory, etc.)?  I am running some tests myself, but the numbers are
staggering (we're seeing up to a 300% increase in the backup time in
some cases).  I understand that it is largely based on the horsepower of
the node, but I was wondering if anyone else is seeing the same, or if
anyone knew a place I could get some additional info on encryption.

Thanks in advance for your time,
Josh