ADSM-L

Re: Veritas Enterprise Netbackup 4.5

2002-10-21 09:50:20
Subject: Re: Veritas Enterprise Netbackup 4.5
From: "Wayne T. Smith" <ADSM AT MAINE DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 09:49:56 -0400
Mr. Lindsay Morris wrote, in part:
> 3. On a day-one comparison, Veritas does perform better than TSM,
> because they BOTH have to do a full backup on day one.  But after a
> week or a month has passed, TSM's efficiencies come to light.

Yet "progressive incremental" doesn't come for free.  Whereas Netbackup
appears to be an almost exclusively write-only system, *SM uses
significant resources for it's tape reclamations.  My ADSM site has 2
drives dedicated almost 24x7 to reclaiming its offsite pool.  Maybe this
bottleneck is corrected with more recent versions of *SM, but it's a
significant problem here.

I'm still wondering how Netbackup will address our (relatively small set
of) clients with slow connectivity (i.e., there goes my home machine
full backup that TSM does well (after taking a week to do the initial
full backup)!).

cheers, wayne
--

Wayne T. Smith -- ADSM AT Maine DOT edu -- University of Maine System -- UNET