ADSM-L

Re: TSM 5.1 vs CA Brightstor Arcserve 2000!?!

2002-10-20 12:25:47
Subject: Re: TSM 5.1 vs CA Brightstor Arcserve 2000!?!
From: prasanna S ghanekar <gpresy AT LYCOS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 11:57:39 -0400
We had CA Brightstor running at a major GM account for 3 months but turned out
to be a failure when it came down to using diskpools as the primary pools and
redirecting the data to the next level tape pools. CA does not have this
automated at all and all they have is couple of utilities for one time
migration and merging. Current Brightstor product does not have the ability to
check the percent level on a disk pool and migrate the data to the next pool.
Essentially you need to write a script that would make use of these two tools
and set it up that way which CA does not support.
On the positive side, Brightstor is very easy to implement, has better
reporting, has brick level backup support for Exchange 5.5, has an agent for
ingres.
Agent for SQL does pose minor problems with service pack levels but works.If
you use it's own rotation scheme then it manages and expires the media very
well but the problem creeps in with the schedules because for every rotation
scheme, you could have only one schedule with a start time for all the backups
and it would go from there hitting one server after the other.
Overall, this solution holds good for a midsize setup but certainly not for a
large setup.
I hope this helps

Prasanna Ghanekar
EDS
--

On Fri, 18 Oct 2002 14:07:55
 Vin Yam wrote:
>Hello,
>
>A major organization is considering CA Brightstor Arcserve 2000 as a
>replacement for the current TSM 4.1.5 setup for its backing up of mission
>critical data of a single server.  Are there any whitepapers or documents
>available that critique performance, data integrity, and ease of use of the
>two data management solutions?  Although I personally prefer TSM due to its
>speed using diskpools, and data integrity and tracking abilities, many
>people are voicing a return to Arcserve because of its ease of use.  They
>are currently considering CA Brightstor Arcserve 2000 because of its ability
>to use diskpools???  I haven't taken a look at Arcserve 2000 in depth, but I
>wasn't sure if this was a possibility and was looking to fellow TSM users to
>help me out in presenting fair information to compare the two.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Vin
>vyam AT qbct DOT com

Get 250 full-color business cards FREE right now!
http://businesscards.lycos.com