ADSM-L

Réf. : Veritas Enterprise Netbackup 4.5

2002-10-18 22:28:20
Subject: Réf. : Veritas Enterprise Netbackup 4.5
From: Guillaume Gilbert <guillaume.gilbert AT DESJARDINS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 08:42:48 -0400
Hey Kelvin

I will have to support NBU as well as TSM. I went to a five day course on NBU
just 2 weeks ago. I was very biased towards TSM before this course but tried to
keep an open
mind. Well the course only confirmed my fears. NBU is archaic, easy to install
but painstakingly hard to configure. Hard in the sense that if you want
different
retentions for different files on a server, you have to create 2 or more
different schedules for that 1 server. They now have a binary catalog which is
a plus because it
speeds things up a bit and reduces its size. You can backup to disk but getting
that data to tape is is pretty rough. There is no reclamation so if you've got
a 2 kb file
on an LTO well you're wasting 200 GB of usefull space.

Keep in mind that NBU and TSM are 2 very different backup concepts. NBU keeps
track of tapes whereas TSM keeps track of objects. Your company will have to
rethink its
whole backup/restore procedures. NBU cannot do incremental forever. You have to
do fulls every week and month for all your servers. This meens more tapes and
drives and a
network that gets pounded.

Guillaume Gilbert
CGI Canada

Kelvin Tan <ktan AT TABLIMITED.COM DOT AU>@VM.MARIST.EDU> on 2002-10-18 01:29:24

Veuillez répondre à "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>

Envoyé par :      "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>

Pour : ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc :
Objet :     Veritas Enterprise Netbackup 4.5

Hi Gurus

At the moment we are using TSM 4.2 but the management is looking at Veritas
Enterprise Netbackup and I have to convince them about staying put with TSM.
Has anybody move
from TSM to Veritas Enterprise Netbackup 4.5 running on Unix??   Any advantages
Veritas has over TSM?  If TSM is that good how come it does not dominate the
backup
market?  I have read the report of Veritas vs TSM but that is on Intel and
related to version 3.

Hope somebody can enlightened me.

Thanks.

Kelvin Tan

"This message and any attachment to it is intended for the use of the
individual or entity to whom it is addressed by the first sender and contains
information which may
be confidential and/or privileged.

If you receive this message and any attachment in error, please delete it
immediately and notify the sender by electronic mail or telephone (61 2) 9211
0188. Unless you
have been expressly authorised by the sender, you are prohibited from copying,
distributing or using the information contained in this message and any
attachment.

Tab Limited (ABN 17 081 765 308) is not responsible for any changes made to
this message or any attachment other than those made by Tab Limited, or for the
effect of
changes made by others on the meaning of this message and any attachment.

Tab Limited does not represent that any attachment is free from computer
viruses or defects and the user assumes all responsibility for any loss, damage
or consequence
resulting directly or indirectly from the use of any attachment."