ADSM-L

Re: cleanup... (was: upgrade from TSM 4.1.3 to TSM 5.1.5)

2002-10-14 13:50:30
Subject: Re: cleanup... (was: upgrade from TSM 4.1.3 to TSM 5.1.5)
From: Steve Roder <spr AT REXX.ACSU.BUFFALO DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 13:48:33 -0400
> Sorry Hans if I was unclear, but for you that haven't upgraded to version
> 4.2, this problem doesn't exist.
>
> The system object bug was first introduced with version 4.2.2.0. For
> thoose of you using a lower version, my suggestion is to not upgrade to
> version 4.2.2, as you will also get this bug.

It sure would be nice if someone from IBM could step in here and say
definitively what level this bug was introduced.

Andy?

I am running 4.2.2.0, and do not see evidence of this problem.  I know
this because I added the following to my Windows cloptset:

include.systemobject ALL 2versions

and all my SYSTEM OBJECT filepsaces got rebound, and the verisons greater
than 2 removed, as demonstrated by:

show version nodename "SYSTEM*" namet=uni -tabdelimited -outfile > node.ver

and then looking at node.ver for evidence.

> Regarding 4.2.3, i'm uncertain if this bug will be solved. I know that
> development and support has been talking about implementing the bug
> solution in version 4.2.3. I also know that they are making some
> adjustments to the cleanup backupgroups command, so that it will run as a
> normal process, and also fix some minor bugs with the command.
>
> Also, as far as I know, this problem is only related to environments using
> Windows 2000. If you don't have any W2K servers in your environment, you
> shouldn't be affected by this bug.
>
> Sorry if I was unclear about this.
>
> Best Regards
>
> Daniel Sparman
> -----------------------------------
> Daniel Sparrman
> Exist i Stockholm AB
> Propellerv�gen 6B
> 183 62 H�GERN�S
> V�xel: 08 - 754 98 00
> Mobil: 070 - 399 27 51
>

> Hans Hedlund <Hans.Hedlund AT ENSKILDA DOT SE>
> 2002-10-14 16:05
> Please respond to "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager"
>

>         To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
>         cc:
>         Subject:        Re: cleanup... (was: upgrade from TSM 4.1.3 to TSM
> 5.1.5)
>

> Just to add to the total confusion, you can (will?) experience the same
> (similar?) problem in a 4.2.2.x server which I don't see properly
> clearified
> on ADSM-L. Everyone's talking about this appearing when trying to upgrade
> 5.1.x, but I have the problem in a plain 4.2.2 environment too: SYSTEM
> OBJECTS not expiring properly, and CLEANUP BACKUPGROUP returning strange
> error messages.
>
> The fix for 4.2.x should be in 4.2.3 which according to Tivoli support
> should appear any time now. At least I hope so since I don't want to
> upgrade
> to 5.1 - yet.
>
> -Hans

Steve Roder, University at Buffalo
HOD Service Coordinator
VM Systems Programmer
UNIX Systems Administrator (Solaris and AIX)
TSM/ADSM Administrator
(spr AT buffalo DOT edu | (716)645-3564)