ADSM-L

Re: cleanup backupgroups

2002-10-14 11:10:30
Subject: Re: cleanup backupgroups
From: Matt Simpson <msimpson AT UKY DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 10:52:31 -0400
I'm a newcomer to this list, and a newcomer to TSM. So there's a very
good chance that I'm totally confused.  I'm catching the tail end of
this cleanup backupgroups discussion, and I need some clarification.

I think I'm reading that there's a problem in 4.2.2.x versions of TSM
which causes SYSTEM OBJECTS not to expire, requiring the CLEANUP
BACKUPGROUPS.  I've seen some messages that indicate the cleanup
needs to run after conversion to 5.1.

We're running TSM 4.2.2.0 on Solaris.  We hope to upgrade to 5.1
sometime, but probably not soon.  While we're still on 4.2.2.0, do we
need to do this cleanup regularly?  We recently had a problem with
TSM coming to a screeching halt after our database got 100% full, and
we're not sure why a database that was supposedly way bigger than we
would ever need has filled up before we've even got half our backups
on it.  Is it possible that this systems objects problem is
contributing to our db size problem?
--

Matt Simpson --  OS/390 Support
219 McVey Hall  -- (859) 257-2900 x300