ADSM-L

Re: Optimizing Restores

2002-10-11 11:06:10
Subject: Re: Optimizing Restores
From: Mark Stapleton <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 10:05:55 -0500
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU]On Behalf Of
Justin Case
> IBM is partners with OTG Diskextender (HSM for windows) now Legato
> Diskxtender.

Yes, but DiskXtender 2000 is an HSM *server* that will feed to TSM; it is
not an HSM client under TSM's control. I also have a hard time telling
customers that they should buy TSM instead of Legato's backup product, and
then turn around and recommend another Legato storage product.

I find DX's configuration to be overly complex and confusing, and it is
possible to get into a corner where you *can't* uninstall everything off
it.[1]

[1] Been there, done that. Twice.

Certified TSM consultant
Certified AIX system engineer