ADSM-L

Re: Macros

2002-10-11 01:32:57
Subject: Re: Macros
From: Roger Deschner <rogerd AT UIC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 00:32:48 -0500
The big advantage of ITSM Server Scripts over OS Shell Scripts (whether
Unix shell, CMS EXEC, or whatever) is passwords. With a Server Script,
you are not execuring dsmadmc for each command - it is done form within
an administrator session. Authentication has already been performed, so
admin ids and passwords are simply not involved. However, for an OS
script that issues the dsmadmc command for each ITSM command, you've got
to put an all-powerful ITSM admin id and password on the command line,
in clear text.

This is a big security hazard. Has anyone figured out a way around this?

"Give a man a computer program and you give him a headache, but teach
him to program computers and you give him the power to create headaches
for others for the rest of his life." -- R. B. Forest