ADSM-L

Re: Rebinding files

2002-10-10 21:01:09
Subject: Re: Rebinding files
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 19:00:25 -0600
Setting up a new domain is not the way to do this, since the files will
all be rebound at the next incremental backup. For a given node, it is not
possible to have backup versions for a given file bound to more than one
management class.

I don't think there is an easy way to do exactly what you want to do.

One alternative is to create a new domain with the desired management
criteria. Rename your node to some other name, then register a new node
using the original name and put it in the new domain (i.e. if your node
name is MARC, then rename it to MARC_OLD, then register a new node named
MARC in the new domain). The next incremental for node MARC will be a full
backup, followed by normal incrementals. But in this way, you can keep the
old data around, while the new data is bound to your new management
classes.

After 6 months, delete the file spaces for node MARC_OLD, then remove the
node. You could define administrative schedules to automate this.

Another alternative is to simply wait 6 months, then modify the management
classes to correspond to the desired criteria.

Perhaps others on this list have other suggestions.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group
Internet e-mail: storman AT us.eyebm DOT com (change eye to i to reply)

The command line is your friend.

Marc Lowers <Marc.R.Lowers AT GSK DOT COM>
10/10/2002 08:19