ADSM-L

Re: Backing up machines through the fire wall (In the DMZ)

2002-10-10 17:16:32
Subject: Re: Backing up machines through the fire wall (In the DMZ)
From: Mark Stapleton <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 16:16:10 -0500
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU]On Behalf Of
Farren Minns
> We have six Solaris machines that are in the DMZ that we need to backup
> with our internal TSM server. At present, as far as I'm aware the clients
> poll the server. This is of course a security risk. I'm sure this may have
> been touched on in other discussions, but it's something I'm new to. Can
> anyone tell me how make it so that the Server polls the clients. Is this a
> simple procedure or something more complex.

1. Set the following in your dsm.sys option file:
        SCHEDMODE PROMPT
        TCPPORT 1500
        TCPCLIENTADDRESS <client's IP address>
2. Stop and restart the scheduler service on the client.
3. You will need to make sure that ports 1500 and 1501 in the firewall are
open in both directions. (This is required.)

That should do it. The server will now initiate the backup.

If you can't keep 1500 and 1501 both open, you'll need to rethink how you're
going to get your backups done. There are several options available. Drop me
a line off the list if you want to continue this thread.

Certified TSM consultant
Certified AIX system engineer
MCSE