ADSM-L

Re: How does AIX SysBack compare to AIX TSM?

2002-10-10 16:07:13
Subject: Re: How does AIX SysBack compare to AIX TSM?
From: Mark Stapleton <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 15:06:41 -0500
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU]On Behalf Of
Ken Sedlacek
> I just recently saw the IBM web site on AIX SysBack System Backup and
> Recovery program.
>
> Can someone who either knows both, or uses both of them, point out the
> differences/similarities between AIX SysBack and AIX TSM??

Sysback is a nicely robust backup solution for AIX-based boxes. It will
create a bootable tape containing backups for one or more volume groups. It
is superior to mksysb in that sysback can back up more than just rootvg.

It *is* a shotgun approach; it backs up everything on the requested volume
groups. But it makes a bootable tape, so it is very useful for migrating
data from one server to another server with dissimilar hardware. It will
allow access to installation media during a restore so that missing hardware
drivers can be accessed.

Certified TSM consultant
Certified AIX system engineer
MCSE