ADSM-L

TSM Upgrade 4.2.2.3 ----> 5.1.X -- HELP!

2002-10-10 11:36:01
Subject: TSM Upgrade 4.2.2.3 ----> 5.1.X -- HELP!
From: "Thach, Kevin" <KThach AT COVHLTH DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 11:16:34 -0400
Hi,

I've seen several of your posts regarding your experiences with upgrading
your TSM server from 4.X to 5.X.  We attempted this upgrade a few weeks
back, not knowing at the time about the SYSTEM OBJECT problem, and after
several hours aborted the upgrade and restored from backup.

We are at 4.2.2.3, and we have about 200 Win2K clients, a 32GB TSM database
(54% of which is SYSTEM OBJECTS!!).  We've been retaining 60 versions of the
SYSTEM OBJECT files / server, so we are going to have some major problems
obviously.  We did not realize the err of our ways as far as retention until
we ran into the upgrade problems.  We were totally blindsided by this, as it
seems you and so many others have been as well.

IBM has recommended the following:

1.  Upgrade to 4.2.2.12, so we have the CLEANUP BACKUPGROUP utility, and the
SYSTEM OBJECTS will begin to expire properly.

2.  Change our retention policy on the SYSTEM OBJECT stuff gradually.
55days, 50 days, 45 days, on down to 5 days.  I'm assuming the gradual
stepdown is because of the time required to expire?

3.  Run the CLEANUP BACKUPGROUP utility.  It will take several days?  I've
heard you can start it after daily processing, kill the process when its
time for backups to begin, and start it up again the next day.  So on and so
on until its finished.  Have you had experience with that?

4.  After the cleanup, upgrade to 5.1.X, during which the upgrade db will
run.  I have been told that the upgrade db could take days!  Your
experience?  During this time, no backups/restores can be performed,
correct?

Bottom line, I'm getting different answers from IBM support, from our IBM
reseller, from the newsgroups, etc.  I am desperate for some feedback from
someone who has actually made it to the other side.  I'm going to have to
give this another go very soon and I'm not at all looking forward to it.

ANY experiences or suggestions you can share are GREATLY appreciated!!

Thank you so much,
Kevin

This E-mail contains PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION intended only
for the use of the Individual(s) named above.  If you are not the intended
recipient of this E-mail, or the employee or agent responsible for
delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
dissemination or copying of this E-mail is strictly prohibited.  If you have
received this E-mail in error, please immediately notify us at (865)
374-4900 or notify us by E-mail at hdesk AT covhlth DOT com.