ADSM-L

Re: Backing up machines through the fire wall (In the DMZ)

2002-10-09 10:55:12
Subject: Re: Backing up machines through the fire wall (In the DMZ)
From: Burak Demircan <burak.demircan AT DAIMLERCHRYSLER DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 16:50:38 +0200
hi,
I am tsm and firewall admin so I did it without reading too much but watching
the logs.

Just Allow following Connections:

Clients ->>> TSM Server on Port 1500   (tcpport on dsm.opt)
TSM Server ->>> Clients on Port 1501

This is for schedmode promted

        Bill_Rosette AT PAPAJOHNS DOT COM
        Sent by: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU

        09.10.2002 17:26
        Please respond to ADSM-L

                        To:        ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                        cc:
                        Subject:        Re: Backing up machines through the
fire wall (In the
DMZ)

We use Server prompted on all backups, with the SCHEDMODE     PROMPTED in
the dsm.sys, or dsm.opt files depending on the OS.  I don't think this will
help with the DMZ though.

Thank You,
Bill Rosette
Data Center/IS/Papa Johns International
WWJD

                      Farren Minns
                     <fminns AT WILEY DOT CO.        To:       ADSM-L AT
VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                     UK>                      cc:
                     Sent by: "ADSM:          Subject:  Backing up machines
through the fire wall (In the DMZ)
                     Dist Stor
                     Manager"
                     <[email protected]
                     .EDU>

                      10/09/2002 07:26
                     AM
                     Please respond to
                     "ADSM: Dist Stor
                     Manager"

Hi TSMers

We have six Solaris machines that are in the DMZ that we need to backup
with our internal TSM server. At present, as far as I'm aware the clients
poll the server. This is of course a security risk. I'm sure this may have
been touched on in other discussions, but it's something I'm new to. Can
anyone tell me how make it so that the Server polls the clients. Is this a
simple procedure or something more complex.

Many thanks in advance for any help

Farren Minns - TSM and Solaris System Admin - John Wiley & Sons

Our Chichester based offices have amalgamated and relocated to a new
address

John Wiley & Sons Ltd
The Atrium
Southern Gate
Chichester
West Sussex
PO19 8SQ

Main phone and fax numbers remain the same:
Phone +44 (0)1243 779777
Fax   +44 (0)1243 775878
Direct dial numbers are unchanged

Address, phone and fax nos. for all other Wiley UK locations are unchanged