ADSM-L

Re: IP pool buffers below threshold in errpt for css0

2002-10-08 16:43:19
Subject: Re: IP pool buffers below threshold in errpt for css0
From: Miles Purdy <PURDYM AT FIPD.GC DOT CA>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 15:30:32 -0500
Some comments:

The size is megabytes, not gigabytes.
If it is too small, bump it up. 16MB is the max. But I believe the memory is
pinned.
EX:
unxd:./>lsattr -El css0
spoolsize      14680064                    Size of IP send buffer         True
rpoolsize      16777216                    Size of IP receive buffer      True

These buffers are not related to vmtune. The error is for the CSS only.

Miles

>>> CABANL AT MODOT DOT NET 08-Oct-02 1:01:24 PM >>>
Thanks for your reply Michel, but the rpoolsize and spoolsize are already
set to 1G

root@scpm02 / # lsattr -El sys0
keylock      normal        State of system keylock at boot time
False
maxbuf       20            Maximum number of pages in block I/O BUFFER
CACHE True
maxmbuf      0             Maximum Kbytes of real memory allowed for MBUFS
True
maxuproc     10000         Maximum number of PROCESSES allowed per user
True
autorestart  false         Automatically REBOOT system after a crash
True
iostat       false         Continuously maintain DISK I/O history
True
realmem      4194304       Amount of usable physical memory in Kbytes
False

root@scpm02 / # lsattr -l css0 -E

AMCC_bus_io    0x1ec00                     TB3MX user memory address
False
sram_memory    0xc8000000                  TB3MX user memory address
False
sram_size      0x00800000                  TB3MX user memory address
True
XILINX_Regs_io 0x1e800                     TB3MX user memory address
False
int_priority   3                           Interrupt priority
False
int_level      36                          Bus interrupt level
False
spoolsize      10485760                    Size of IP send buffer
True
rpoolsize      10485760                    Size of IP receive buffer
True
adapter_status css_ready                   Configuration status
False
win_poolsize   83886080                    Total user device memory
True
win_maxsize    16777216                    Maximum per-user device memory
True
win_minsize    1048576                     Minimum per-user device memory
True
window         VSD AVAIL AVAIL AVAIL AVAIL Adapter window owners
True

I am really wondering if it REALLY is the size of the space, and not how
many pools there are? According to the documentation, if the maxmbuf is set
to 0, then thewall value is used, and is supposed to be set for 1G or 1/2
of real memory.  It is set to 1G, which is 1/2 of the real 2G of memory in
that box. So, in theory and in accordance with what you recommend, my
values are set correctly.

Because I saw that there are two ways to change the #of buffer pools-- via
the vmtune -m number_of_memory_pools and the chdev -l sys0 -a maxbuf=????
I was thinking that it was actually the number of buffer pools and NOT the
size.

any thoughts??

lisa

                    Michel Bisschoff
                    <[email protected]       To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT
EDU
                    LD.GOV.AU>                 cc:
                    Sent by: "ADSM: Dist       Subject:     Re: IP pool buffers
below threshold in errpt for css0
                    Stor Manager"
                    <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT ED

                    10/07/2002 05:30 PM
                    Please respond to
                    "ADSM: Dist Stor
                    Manager"

Hi Lisa,

This error relates to the SP switch. By default the rpoolsize and spoolsize
are to small sized for SP nodes with high throughput like an ITSM server.
The following command will tell you about the switch settings:
  lsattr -El css0
and look at the values for rpoolsize and spoolsize. They should be 10485760
(for the ITSM server).
Probable I'll see 2097152.
To change them:
  /usr/lpp/ssp/css/chgcss -l css0 -a spoolsize=10485760 -a
rpoolsize=10485760

As long as your SP nodes don't complain, there is no need to change these
values.

But you need a reboot to make the change effective. These values will be
remembered after a reboot, but
I noticed, sometimes they return to their default values. I think it
happens
after a PSSP upgrade.
So it'll be better to put this command in the file:
   /tftpboot/tuning.cust
so it'll be executed automatically after every reboot.

HTH

Michel Bisschoff
Unix Systems Admin
Brisbane, Australia