ADSM-L

Re: space reclamation when using server-to-server communication

2002-10-08 07:34:14
Subject: Re: space reclamation when using server-to-server communication
From: "Cook, Dwight E" <DWIGHT.E.COOK AT SAIC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 04:29:44 -0700
Where do your virtual volumes go ??? (straight to tape or first to a buffer
diskpool ???)
If they go straight to tape there is the possibility that your second
virtual volume to be reclaimed ends up being on the physical volume to which
your first reclamation process opened its output volume.  (thus the output
voume gets closed on the remote server because the tape is rewound to find
the second input/reclamation volume)

What is the mount retention of your device class for your virtual volumes
???

Generally virtual volumes are only used for a unit of work (or until their
estimated capacity is reached), since your reclamation processes are
actually TWO different processes I would expect TSM to close that output
virtual volume at the end of the first process and thus terminate its use.
I would not expect the second process to pick that back up and try to use
it... and this might be what is going on in that the virtual volume is
closed upon completion of the first reclamation and then the second process
tries to use it but it is closed...

Try this, if your mount retention for your device class for your virtual
volumes isn't zero, try setting it to zero.  This way upon completion of the
first reclamation every one / all routines involved will agree to close out
that virtual volume,  then when your second reclamation initiates it will
call for a new scratch.
NOW for the flip side of my twisted thinking... if your mount retention IS
currently zero, try setting it up to 1 or 2, IF currently zero it ~might~ be
triggering an early close of the volume even though the one environment
knows it has additional work to go to it.

BUT generally I'd expect the normal flow of things to be: upon completion of
the first reclamation task, the output virtual volume to be closed (since
that is a completed unit of work) and upon the initiation of the second
reclamation task, a new output virtual volume to be opened...

Dwight