ADSM-L

[no subject]

2002-10-08 04:49:04
From: Wayne Gorton <wayneg AT IBK.COM DOT AU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 18:49:12 -0700
Howdy People,
I've been thinking about the time it take s to unload and load a TSM DB.
Depending on the size of the TSM DB it may require TSM to be offline for
more than a day.
I welcome some thoughts about the following steps:-
1) loaddb the production TSM DB.
2) Bring TSM back up to continue operation.
3) loadformat and load the TSM DB onto a "big" test system.
4) Backup db on the production TSM DB.
5) Shutdown the production TSM DB.
6) Copy the "new optimized" db files across to the production TSM
server.
7) DSMSERV RESTORE DB for step 4.

Would the restore be possible in the first place.
Would the restore db have a fragmentation effect on the optimized db?
On a general note, I was under the impression that the unload did the
optimization, but from some load times I've seen, it may be done on the
load operation. Which is it?

Alternately we could do an cut-down export and import of the nodes.

Share and Enjoy

Wayne Gorton
TSM Certified Nerd
Innovative Business Knowledge (IBK) P/L