ADSM-L

Re: how to add tape to library? (fwd)

2002-10-07 10:46:49
Subject: Re: how to add tape to library? (fwd)
From: John Coffman <JCoffman AT MCG-INS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 09:26:42 -0500
It should be asking for a reply. When you q act or q request, do you see
anything like that? If you do reference that # and type "reply #" . try
that.

                    Alexander
                    Lazarevich               To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                    <alazarev AT HERA DOT ITG       cc:
                    .UIUC.EDU>               Subject:     Re: how to add tape
to library? (fwd)
                    Sent by: "ADSM:
                    Dist Stor Manager"
                    <[email protected].

                    10/04/2002 03:32
                    PM
                    Please respond to
                    "ADSM: Dist Stor
                    Manager"

okay, i do that exact command:

adsm> label libvol ITG-3575 search=bulk labelsource=barcode
checkin=scratch

and it starts to read all the labels in my library, but then it comes up
with the error:

ANR8314E Library ITG-3575 is full.
ANR8841I Remove volume from slot 30 of library ITG-3575 at your
convenience.
ANR8802E LABEL LIBVOLUME process 87 for library  failed.
ANR0985I Process 87 for LABEL LIBVOLUME running in the BACKGROUND
completed
with completion state FAILURE at 15:28:48.

how can the library be full, i just removed 4 tapes from it yesterday! it
could be that the tapes were not properly removed, so the server "thinks"
it's full, even when it isn't.

so how do i get the server to read the tapes, and verify which ones are in
the library, and which ones arn't.

keep in mind that i have data on all these tapes, and i can't lose it!

thanks much for the help!

alex
---                                                        ---
   Alex Lazarevich | Systems | Imaging Technology Group
   alazarev AT itg.uiuc DOT edu | (217)244-1565 | www.itg.uiuc.edu
---                                                        ---

On Fri, 4 Oct 2002, John Coffman wrote:

> I was told by TSM support when I did my installation to label vol like
> this.... label libvol library_name search=bulk labelsource=barcode
> checkin=scratch
> (Embedded image moved to file: pic23281.pcx)
>

>                     Alexander
>                     Lazarevich               To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT
> EDU
>                     <alazarev AT HERA DOT ITG       cc:
>                     .UIUC.EDU>               Subject:     Re: how to add
tape to library? (fwd)
>                     Sent by: "ADSM:
>                     Dist Stor Manager"
>                     <[email protected].
>                     EDU>
>

>                     10/04/2002 02:49
>                     PM
>                     Please respond to
>                     "ADSM: Dist Stor
>                     Manager"
>

> Dan,
>
> I'm sorry to bother you more, but I'm totally stuck on this, and you
> responded with great detail.
>
> I can remove the tapes just fine, but when I try to add a new one,
> per your instructions, here's what happens:
>
> adsm> label libvol  ITG-3575 3121cf labelsource=barcode checkin=scratch
> ANR8812E LABEL LIBVOLUME: The SEARCH parameter is required when using
> LABELSOURCE with this command.
> ANS8001I Return code 3.
>
> So then I add the search parameter and I get this error:
>
> adsm> label libvol  ITG-3575 3121cf labelsource=barcode checkin=scratch
> search=bulk
> ANR2020E LABEL LIBVOLUME: Invalid parameter - SEARCH.
> ANS8001I Return code 3.
>
> So it's as if I can't even run the label libv command at all? It wants
> the sarch param, then it doesn't. What the heck is going on here? Sounds
> like the program is screwed... sigh...
>
> I appreciate any help. Thanks,
>
> Alex
> ---                                                        ---
>    Alex Lazarevich | Systems | Imaging Technology Group
>    alazarev AT itg.uiuc DOT edu | (217)244-1565 | www.itg.uiuc.edu
> ---                                                        ---
>

> On Tue, 1 Oct 2002, Dan Foster wrote:
>
> > Hot Diggety! Alexander Lazarevich was rumored to have written:
> > >
> > > I am unable to add a new tape to the library, and I just can't figure
> out
> > > what I'm doing wrong. Can someone give me some tips? We've got an IBM
> 3575
> > > L18 tape library, runing adsm server 3.1 on an AIX 4.3.3 machine.
Tape

> > I've got a 3575-L32 library, 4 drives, ADSM 3.1, AIX 4.3.3.
> >
> > > # move all data off the tape, the remove it.
> > > adsm> checkout libvolume ITG-3575 xxxxxx checklabel=no
> > > adsm> reply 001
> >
> > BTW, the checkout doesn't move any data off it. It just simply
> > tells TSM "hey, it's no longer in the library right now" but still
> > has all the data on it defined in the TSM DB and stuff.
> >
> > If you really want to move data off it... can do something like:
> >
> > adsm> q vol <volser>
> >
> > This will tell you what storage pool that tape belongs to.
> >
> > adsm> move data <volser> -stgpool=<name of stgpool tape is in>
> >
> > That will move the data off that tape and onto another tape in the
> > same storage pool. THEN you can do this:
> >
> > adsm> delete vol <volser> -discarddata=yes
> >
> > That tells TSM "hey, there's gonna be nothing left of interest on the
> > tape when you finish with that delete vol".
> >
> > THEN:
> >
> > adsm> checkout libvol ITG-3575 <volser> checklabel=no remove=yes
> >
> > That tells TSM "ok, tape isn't in the 3575 any more. Forget it ever
> > existed".
> >
> > At this point, you can now remove the tape from the 3575 library.
> >
> > Now insert a new tape. Then, you need to do an one-time-only tape
> > labelling process if it's a brand new tape that's never been used
> > before:
> >
> > adsm> label libvol ITG-3575 <volser> labelsource=barcode
checkin=scratch

> > That will both label it *and* then tell TSM that it's now in the
> > ITG-3575 library and available for use. (You can do this as two
> > separate steps but it's bit of a pain...so it's nice to have a single
> > command like label libvol that can do both steps and save you some
> > typing and PITA-ness.)
> >
> > Finally, to verify that it's now in the library and as a scratch tape:
> >
> > adsm> q libv ITG-3575 <volser>
> >
> > Enjoy your 3575 setup. :-) I'm now working on the 3584 setup...3 to 10
> > times faster, and instead of 339 Magstar tapes (3575), the equivalent
> > capacity is 9 LTO tapes (3584), and I got 1600 LTO tapes. Whoo hoo ;)
> >
> > -Dan
> >

> The content of this email message and any attachments are confidential
and may be legally privileged, intended solely for the addressee.  If you
are not the intended recipient, be advised that any use, dissemination,
distribution, or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited.  If you
receive this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by
reply email and destroy the message and its attachments.