ADSM-L

Re: Copy Serialization Dynamic Impact

2002-10-04 12:46:34
Subject: Re: Copy Serialization Dynamic Impact
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 12:46:14 -0400
If the large files are SEQUENTIALLY written files, a fuzzy backup is usually
OK.
An example of this is the dsmsched.log file - it's always being written to
during a backup.
Same thing on some AIX clients that have sequentially written logs.
We set up a special management class with SHARED DYNAMIC and use that for
these files.
Usually what you get is a backup of the file UP TO THE POINT that was being
written at the time TSM tried to backup, and that is fine (and certainly
better than nothing).

However, if the files are DATA BASES of some kind where the changes could be
made in the middle of the file, DON"T use SHARED DYNAMIC.  You will get a
backup that looks oK, but when you restore it, you could have damage in the
middle somewhere that will not be apparent until you try to access that
record.

For files like this, you have to figure out what program is using the file,
and schedule your backups sometime when you can shut it down.  Or use a TDP,
if it's a data base.  Or export the data to a flat file and back up the flat
file.
There are many techniques, depending on your circumstances.  .