ADSM-L

Copy Serialization Dynamic Impact

2002-10-03 14:18:56
Subject: Copy Serialization Dynamic Impact
From: Scott Walters <scott_walters AT MACKTRUCKS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 14:17:11 -0400
Hey all,

       In setting up our TSM server, we've noticed that many clients have large
sessions because they have been re-transmitting files that are changing.
 We had the Copy Serialization set to Shared Dynamic CHANGINGRETRIES=4.
 We then bumped CHANGINGRETRIES down to 1.

       At this point we still have a few boxes that are backing up large files
that are being retransmitted.  We've now set the Copy Serialization to
Dynamic.

       Our previous backup product, StorageTek's CAM, had no changing retries
feature and we never had any problems.   But there is no gurantee TSM
and CAM backup a changing file the same way.

       The TSM Admin User guide warns that this can result in a 'fuzzy copy'.
Has anyone had a negative experience with fuzzy copies?

--
Scott Walters
Packet Pusher - "The world speaks IP"

Mack Trucks, WHQ        http://www.MackTrucks.com
2100 Mack Boulevard     Ph: 610.709.3728
Allentown, PA 18103     Fx: 610.709.2809