ADSM-L

TSM: DB Best Practises ?

2002-10-03 08:34:26
Subject: TSM: DB Best Practises ?
From: Riaan Louwrens <riaanl AT SOURCECONSULTING.CO DOT ZA>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 14:35:54 +0200
Hi There,

Been monitoring the list the last couple of weeks. Seeing as we are
relatively new to the "world of TSM".

I havent come across this (yet) in any of the admin / installation / user
guides but I woudl like to know if there is a "best practises" w.r.t
maintaining our tivoli server. (this is where the personal experience out
there REALLY comes in handy ...) I have already drawn up a short list - feel
free to add to it ....

Daily Backups
Reclamation (daily)
Migration
Create Offsite Copies
Expiration
Backup TSM DB
SnapShot TSM DB
Backup Volhist
Expire Inv

If possible any integrity or consistency check that we can run  to verify
the DB ? TSM internal commands ? or external utilities ?

Second Question: (I know I am pushing it - but seeing as I already have the
guru's attention) - Does TSM have a utility that "scans" in a tape and
re-populates the DB ? Example: We have a tape and we arent sure what data it
contains - can one "scan" (for lack of a better term) the contents ? Can one
restore from that tape (say to a temp location) to view the contents ?

Any help is appreciated.

Regards,

Riaan Louwrens
Source Consulting SA