ADSM-L

Space reclamation runs, but tapes don't free up

2002-10-01 20:14:35
Subject: Space reclamation runs, but tapes don't free up
From: "Brazner, Bob" <Bob.Brazner AT JCI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 19:13:32 -0500
System is TSM 4.1.2.0 on AIX 4.3.3.  I run reclamation daily on my tape
backup copy pool, but the backlog of unreclaimed tapes continues to grow
(as determined by SQL select looking for volumes in the pool that meet my
reclamation threshold - 60%).  The space reclamation process mounts a
number of tapes, and a good number of bytes get moved, but the count
continues to grow.  My onsite tape backup pool does not suffer from this
problem.  I'm not seeing the number of ANR1341I messages (Scratch volume
<volume name> has been deleted from storage pool <storage pool name>) that
I would expect.  Nor, am I seeing the expected number of ANR1342I messages
(Scratch volume <volume name> is now pending - volume will be deleted from
storage pool <storage pool name> after the reuse delay period for this
storage pool has elapsed).  I should be seeing one or both messages for
each offsite volume reclaimed, right?  Because my offsite tapes are not
getting reclaimed in a timely fashion, I'm faced with a lack of scratch
tapes every day.  Any ideas anyone?

Bob Brazner
Johnson Controls, Inc.
(414) 524-2570