ADSM-L

Re: LAN-free backup goes SAN, LAN, SAN

2002-09-29 02:06:19
Subject: Re: LAN-free backup goes SAN, LAN, SAN
From: Zlatko Krastev/ACIT <acit AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 08:37:39 +0300
Thank you very much Andy. We put v4.2.2.5 client without upgrading the
server and storage agent and it worked perfect.
Paul and others, quick resume (what we wanted and) what we got:
Three classes pointing to different stgpools
DIRMC   -> DIRDISK, dedicated disk pool (migrates to file for 'backup stg'
and never goes to tape)
RS6000  -> DISKPOOL, for small files
ORADBF  -> LTOPOOL, for (large) Oracle data files backed up offline
Everything is bound explicitly to a class according to the requirements
(in description of APAR IC33316 it looks like DIRMC was not used).
After applying v4.2.2.5 patch (with still v4.2.1.15 server/STA), client
backups everything according to our rules set through class bindings in
InclExcl file. Small files and directories go over LAN and end up in the
corresponding disk pool while large files traverse STA-SAN-Tape route.
Single tape mount for LAN-free and no more mounts from the server
(diskpool is big enough to get daily backups).
On restore TSM is smart enough and small restores (from diskpool) finish
in less than a minute over 100 Mb production LAN (no dedicated one).
Restore of Oracle data files is mounting the volume and afterwards just
flies.
End of the story. Flowers and glory :-)

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant

Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
19.09.2002 15:22