ADSM-L

Re: Reading data from tape

2002-09-24 23:37:42
Subject: Re: Reading data from tape
From: David Longo <David.Longo AT HEALTH-FIRST DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 23:13:01 -0400
Well, I'll take a shot at this.  Haven't worked with 3590 tape in a
while
but your questions are applicable to any tape.

1.  If these tapes were removed then your onsite and/or offsite
reclamations should start failing  soon as they try to use a tape that
isn't there.

2.  If your know which tape volser's were removed, then do a "q vol
blah f=d"
on them and see what stgpool they were in and when last accessed.
Maybe
if actlog retention is long enough, you can do a q actlog and search
for volser
and see when removed and by what command.

3.  Simplest but could be looonnnng output - do a "q content" on the
volumes.
This will show you all the nodes and files that are on this tape.  You
can use
some SQL selects to get a more refined list if needed.

4.  Even though data may be "expired" it is still on the tape, but not
easily
accessible unless you have a DB backup tape made at the time the tapes
were
removed.

5. I don't know the fine details on how data is written on tape but
believe there
is little or no "indexing" on the tape, it's all in the the DB.  (Now
some tape
tape technologies have "some" kind of information in the header - like
the VCR
on 3570 tapes).

6.  As a summary, it depends on how important the data is that you need
back.
And if there is classified data on these tapes, how will "they" get
that back
without you?

David Longo

>>> GEOFFREY.L.GILL AT SAIC DOT COM 09/23/02 06:08PM >>>
I hope someone has a real good knowledge of how TSM data is written
to/read
from tape. I'm in a predicament that I may never be able to get tapes
back
to read any node data off of them unless I can satisfactorily answer
questions. Unfortunately I don't know the questions yet so I don't even
know
what to ask here. Perhaps someone who is knowledgeable about 3590 tape
technology or someone from Tivoli monitoring the list can help with
this. I
hate to have to call Tivoli since so far I haven't got much in the way
of
answers on the other questions I've been asking on classified material
on
tape.

What kind of questions would you expect to answer if a tape was removed
from
the library with mixed node data on it and it was needed to restore
some
other node's data. Keep in mind that the tape was removed because it
originally had classified material stored on it. It may or may not
still
have the data depending on expiration. I already know how to explain
the ins
and outs of expiration/reclamation but we all know the "DATA" is
really
still there. My guess is I'm never really going to be able to get
these
tapes back and whatever data was on them is probably gone forever but I
need
to at least be able to answer some questions like are they indexed or
how
the data is stored, how it's read back etc.

Thanks for the help,
Geoff Gill
TSM Administrator
NT Systems Support Engineer
SAIC
E-Mail:    <mailto:gillg AT saic DOT com> gillg AT saic DOT com
Phone:  (858) 826-4062
Pager:   (877) 905-7154

"MMS <health-first.org>" made the following
 annotations on 09/24/2002 11:14:40 PM
This message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain confidential,
proprietary, or legally privileged information.  No confidentiality or
privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission.  If you receive this
message in error, please immediately delete it and all copies of it from your
system, destroy any hard copies of it, and notify the sender.  You must not,
directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of
this message if you are not the intended recipient.  Health First reserves the
right to monitor all e-mail communications through its networks.  Any views or
opinions expressed in this message are solely those of the individual sender,
except (1) where the message states such views or opinions are on behalf of a
particular entity;  and (2) the sender is authorized by the entity to give such
views or opinions.