ADSM-L

Re: HELP!... What processes can/can't run simultaneously and what throttles throughput on backup sessions ?

2002-09-24 15:46:31
Subject: Re: HELP!... What processes can/can't run simultaneously and what throttles throughput on backup sessions ?
From: Mark Stapleton <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 14:45:11 -0500
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU]On Behalf Of
Barbara Andrews
> Even with client compression
> turned on, the best throughput rate we've seen is 566 Kb/sec.,
> and that was
> when the backup was run on a Sunday when there is very little activity on
> all systems involved (client, server, network).  When other backups are
> running during the night, the best we've seen is 368.72 Kb/sec.  This
> results in the backup for this one node taking at least 17 hours to run to
> completion.

I've often said that TSM is one of the finest problem finders in the tech
industry today. It will show you bus problems, adapter bottlenecks, network
missettings, and SAN misconfigurations faster than anything else in the
market.

Your network problems doubtless existed prior to the change in your backup
schema; you just didn't see it because you didn't stress the network with
it. I would say that you need to check the speed and duplex settings for
*all* network hardware in the line of the problem--the Notes server's NIC,
the switch port that it's plugged into, the switch port that the TSM server
is plugged into, and the NIC for the TSM server. They should (in most cases)
all be set to 100 full duplex for a 100mb Ethernet network.

Certified TSM consultant
Certified AIX system engineer
MCSE